Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Jay In Nigeria 2011

I had planned to leave for Nigeria the first of March. But that was not in the cards. Instead, while making a waterproof enclosure for an prototype borehole camera, I lacerated the end of my thumb and removed two thirds of my thumbnail. While waiting for the thumb to heal I found several low cost components for my borehole camera idea. Now I will need a bigger waterproof enclosure. The delay has made pushed the trip past my current Visa. So I had to apply for a new Visa. I should get the new Visa back on Saturday the 19th or Monday the 21st. I have plane reservation for Tuesday March 22nd. I hope I have a Visa.

The purpose of the borehole camera is two-fold. The main purpose is to find out what is wrong with the many poorly functioning or non-functions boreholes in Nigeria. Probably 40% of the boreholes drilled in Africa well meaning people are not functioning anymore. There are many possible reasons that they do not function. They may be full of sediment. They screens may be plugged. The driller did not put enough screens in. But we do not know because these parts are 100 to 300 feet under the ground and we cannot see them. The borehole camera may be of help to document how the borehole was constructed, what is wrong and give us some clues on how we can fix it.

These two little camera shoots 1280 X 960 digital video and have micro SD cards that stores the video. To light the pipe I am taking some 12 volt LED light strips sold at Ikea and converting them to run on 3 volts. Two AAA batteries will be all I need to power the lights. I will be testing the cameras as during my upcoming trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment