Thursday, March 24, 2011

Arrived in Nigeria and on the Dogon Dutse


I have arrived at the Dogon Dutse Guest House in Jos, Nigeria. The trip was fairly uneventful. I found out that Immigrations at the airport will only stamp you Visa for 30 days and I will have to go into immigrations in Yola, pay 10,000 naira ($64.52) and request an extension.
   Auwalu met me at the airport in his old Peuget station wagon. We went to Maballa, north of Abuja to stay overnight at a guest house. It was closed so we stayed at the Maballa Hotel. I had forgotten how hard the beds are here. Softer than concrete but harder than grass in a city park. We got up before the Zuma Restaurant opened and headed to Jos in Plateau . For the most part fairly decent roads. We made it to Jos in just under 4 hours. On the way through town we stopped and exchanged my dollars for Naira. (155 Naira/$) Then on to Dogan Dutse Guest House. This is a Guest House and conference center located in Jos and operated by the Lutheran Church of Christ in Nigeria (LCCN) for visitors and for conferences. I am in Lamurde house. All the buildings have names of cities from Adamawa State.
  After checking in Auwalu and I went back downtown to get a AirTel modem and a data SIM card and phone SIM card. On my first trip to Nigeria I got a V-Mobile SIM card. When I returned V-mobile, had been bought by Centel. A few years later Centel was bought by Zain from South Africa. Now AirTel from India has bought Zain. The data modem seems to work good. But the phone sim card is not working. At the store you buy the cards at they have to register your card. Type all the serial numbers and phone numbers into a laptop and with your name, birth date, addres, photo, digital finger prints. Then you wait for the registration to update.
   On Friday morning Moori a worker here at Dogon Dutse took my SIM card to the AirTel office and found out that it was not registered. So we got taxis (motorcycles) and went across town to the AirTel office and went through the registration again. This time they asked for nationality, passport no. and other info. I am fairly confident that it will work Saturday morning.

   Due to the phone problems I have not yet contacted Pastor Emmanuel and do not know when we will go to the mission field. Currently, I am scheduled to have Auwalu drive me down to Yola Sunday morning.


Maballa Hotel 09.11138N / 007.22010E
Dogon Dutse Guest House 09.93869N / 008.89805E

No comments:

Post a Comment